Friday, February 24, 2012

Celtic Cross at a Galway Cemetery

One of the things that amazes me about Ireland is Celtic design. They are so intricate. If you have ever tried to replicate one, you will quickly realize most of them are difficult and very mathematical.

I visited an old Graveyard right on the outskirts of the city. It had been pointed out to me when I was on a previous bus trip and I had been wanting to go back there for awhile.  I was totally blown away by how many Celtic crosses there were. It was the standard for a headstone a hundred years ago.  The graveyard was littered with them.

This Celtic cross in particular was of a HUGE scale in comparison with the other. It also had cravings on all four sides, indicating it is more expensive.  Modern crosses often only have the face carved.

Due to the position and scale of this cross, I was able to shoot it with the cemetery chapel in the background. It also shows that it is a modern graveyard because there are standard slab headstones, some very recent, in the background.

No comments: