Friday, March 30, 2012

Enlightenment in Mt. Washington

On my stroll home from the Incline the other day, I needed to stop at the grocery store. Instead of taking my normal route down Grandview Avenue, I walked through the back part of my neighborhood on one of the other main street. After I had stopped at the store, I was walking home and noticed this statue.
I have driven past this statue hundreds of time since it is a main street to get through Mt. Washington.  It was interesting that is wonderful statue was perched outside of the Rite Aid.
According to the plaque, the statue by Eugenio Pedon is called enlightenment. Apparently, this 'lady of stone' was rescued from top the entrance of the old post office building on Smithfield Street (1889 - 1966). 
Although the city didn't have the foresight to save the incredible post office building, at least this relic remains for us to enjoy.

No comments: