Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Soldier Comes Home for Christmas

Soldier holding his son's hand walking through the Pittsburgh airport

Today, my friend Lara and I met up for the first time in over a year. Before we headed to lunch we had to go to the Pittsburgh airport to get her luggage that didn't make it from Atlanta the previous day.

As we were waiting for the luggage, I had noticed a group of soldiers picking up their bags from the carousel. As we walked out of the airport, his family met him and was walking in front of us.

He reached down and grabbed his son's hand. I was overwhelmed by a sense of pride and joy. Proud of a man who defends this nation's freedom and joy that he was home in time to be with his family for Christmas.

As much as I wanted to stop him and thank him for all that he had done and his service to the United States, I thought it was more important for him to enjoy seeing his son. I snapped a quick picture with my phone to remember the moment - and what the holiday is about - rejoicing in being with the ones you love and that know you best.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: