Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Shell Washing Station

When of the things that I often think about when I visit my parents in Florida is the different in the pace of life. People go for longs walks in the morning and spend time walking on the beach or seeing the sunset.

I think part of the reason for that is the vast majority of people in the part of Florida where my parents go are retired. They have more time to relax and do things like collect shells on the beach.

Even with that, there is still a hint of the business efficiency that went along with their former lives they lead in the business world. The little shell washing station is a kind of evidence of that to me. It is a great set up to efficiently clean off your shells so you don't track the sand into your condo and you pipes. Yet, it is a quaint idea to think that people collect shells so often that this type of area is a necessity.

I converted this photo to black and white for two reasons. I think it adds to its kitschy nature. I also think that compared to all of the other brights buildings, the sun-washed wood actually seems like it is in black and white when you first see it.

No comments: